Responsibilities and Job Requirements:
Timber Sales and Appraisals: All aspects of field work, office work and reporting to landowner/client.
- Systematic sampling of merchantable and premerchantable timberland using both fixed radius plots and prism sampling methods.
- 100% tree count of merchantable timber.
- Identify, locate and mark property lines.
- Identify and mark streamside management zones (SMZs).
- Identification of commercial tree species (winter and summer).
- Design and implementation of timber harvesting plan for clearcut, select cut and thinning sales.
- Prepare timber sale maps and review computer-generated digitized maps.
- Prepare timber sale bid notice and review timber sale contracts.
- Perform timber harvesting inspections to ensure compliance with contract.
- Collect timber and land sale data for appraisal purposes.
- Organize and audit timber sale settlements.
Timberland Management: All aspects of field work, office work and reporting to landowner/client.
- Inspection of clients’ tracts.
- Proposal and implementation of timberland management activities specific to individual sites and client goals including site preparation techniques (mechanical & chemical), prescribed burning, chemical release spray, herbaceous weed control, reforestation activities, seedling survival check and timber stand improvement activities (commercial & precommercial thinning, fertilization, chemical release, etc.).
- Prepare and negotiate contracts with independent contractors for clients’ management services.
- Supervision of contracted services, including certifying completion of work for payment.
- Meeting with landowner/client to review management activities, answer questions and make proposals regarding their timberland.
- Patrol property boundaries and points of access.
- Assist with management plan preparation.