AFM’s team of professionals is focused on meeting client needs by providing a complete range of forestry services including land and wildlife management, land sale and acquisition services, forest inventory and design, growth and yield modeling, cash flow projections, environmental services, appraisal, forest resource data management and harvest scheduling.
Full-time Position: Minimum 45 hours per week required, some out of town and overnight work required (expenses paid). This position reports to the District Manager in AFM’s Richmond, Virginia office. The Richmond office manages approximately 100,000 acres of institutional client land (TIMO’s) and works extensively with non-industrial private landowners. The Forester I position is required to interact with multiple client types.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- In conjunction with the District Manager, proposes and implements timberland management activities specific to individual sites and client goals including site preparation techniques (mechanical & chemical), chemical release application, herbaceous weed control, reforestation activities, seedling survival checks, timber stand improvement, and other relevant activities
- Executes timber sales according to certification standards and/or best management practices, encompassing all aspects of field and office work
- Conducts systematic sampling of merchantable and pre-merchantable timberland using field data recorders for both fixed radius and prism sampling methods, and prepares timber inventory
- In conjunction with the District Manager, designs and implements timberland management plans
- Generates new business (meets with potential clients, explains our business, secures contracts)
- Manages lease and temporary access agreements
- Assists District Manager with budgeting, monthly reports, annual operating plans, and projections
- Assists with data entry activities with client’s accounting systems
- Possesses competency in GPS/GIS, or exhibits the ability to acquire this competency
- Possesses familiarity with computer-generated spreadsheets and word processing
- Prepares weekly timesheet showing all time worked by project, bill method and task
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the District Manager