American Forest Management, Inc. (AFM) is the largest forest
consulting and real estate brokerage firm in the United States. AFM
currently manages over 6 million acres of privately owned timberland
and has sold over $2 billion in real estate transactions. With 273
employees operating from 49 offices located in 16 states, AFM’s team
of professionals are focused on meeting client needs by providing a
complete range of forestry services including land and wildlife
management, land sale and acquisition services, forest inventory and
design, growth and yield modeling, cash flow projections,
environmental services, appraisal, forest resource data management and
harvest scheduling. Our small regionally dispersed offices allow us to
provide individualized services, and our large overall size allows us
to coordinate teams of foresters and technical specialists for large,
Full-time position - Responsible for providing forest management
services on property located in Coastal Plain of North Carolina.
Minimum of 45 hours per week required, vehicle provided, out-of-town
and overnight work may be required (expenses paid). Responsible for
helping manage forested lands for economic, recreational, and
conservation purposes. Capabilities must include the ability to
inventory the type, amount, and location of standing timber, appraise
the timber’s worth, and negotiate and close the purchase and sale
agreement. Responsibilities shall also include knowing how to conserve
wildlife habitats, creek beds, water quality, and soil stability, and
how best to comply with best management practices and environmental regulations.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- All aspects of fieldwork, office work, analysis, and reporting to landowner/client.
- Assists in managing all aspects of logging operations including
harvest set up, harvest inspections and merchandising trees into
various forest products.
- Assists in planning, negotiations, administration, and inspection
of other forestry-related activities such as road construction and
maintenance, timber marking, boundary establishment, and other land
management projects as assigned.
- Assists in development and administering budgets.
- Monitors BMP and EMS Compliance to ensure third party SFI Certification.
- Uses Geographic Information System (GIS) to assist in managing
- Participates in forest inventory projects individually or with a team.
- Generate new business by meeting with potential clients to explain
our business, etc.
- Create management plans that capture landowner objectives and
offer solutions to achieve those goals.
- Perform all aspects of timber sale development, including timber
inventory, boundary establishment, preparing timber sale bid
notices, marketing, and reviewing timber sale contracts.
- Prepare and negotiate contracts with independent contractors for
clients’ management services.
- Supervise contracted services, including certifying completion of
work for payment.
- Plan, contract and direct all types of harvesting, forestation and
- Plan and design forest inventories, gather field data, work up
cruise data, update stand records and maps manually and electronically
- Plan cutting programs to assure continuous production of timber or
to assist clients to achieve other timber or wildlife habitat